Modifying IronPython Tools

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Hi! 

I'm trying to compile and modify the last version of IronPython Tools. It's the last version that was posted in the source code directory. I thinks it's version 2.7 Beta 1 (78756).

1) Who's in charge of IronPython Tools? I'd like to be involved in active development if needed. I'd also love to talk to them at some point about how they built it and how I can make changes to it. For example the REPL mode doesn't respond to breakpoints and call back to the debugger. I'd like to fix that. 

2) How do you debug the IronPython Tools? My current strategy is to install the extension each time to see if my changes have taken hold. 

3) Are there plans to release code for RC candidates for IronPython? It seems like the source code pushes are not really shared anymore.

If I should be contacting someone specifically. I'd love to know.

thanks,

-k 

Coordinator
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM

This code is now owned by the IronPython community so you should join lists.ironpython.com and discuss it there. You can also look on ironpython.codeplex.com under the “Development” section for general information on getting started (enlisting on github, etc…)

For debugging you should set IronPythonTools as the startup project and then go into its project properties->Debug settings and set it to launch VS’s devenv.exe (in program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE). You should also set the command line arguments to be “/rootsuffix Exp”. When you build the tools will be copied into %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0Exp\Extensions\.... which is where extensions for the experimental hive are installed. When you hit F5 the /rootsuffix Exp will cause you to launch into the experimental hive and you’ll be debugging.

When we were winding down IronPython we made the call not to do source releases and instead just tag the releases with their source code. On CodePlex you could download the tagged version – I imagine GitHub has something similar but I haven’t looked for it.

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 1:55 PM
To: Dino Viehland
Subject: Modifying IronPython Tools [dlr:248778]

Hi!

I'm trying to compile and modify the last version of IronPython Tools. It's the last version that was posted in the source code directory. I thinks it's version 2.7 Beta 1 (78756).

1) Who's in charge of IronPython Tools? I'd like to be involved in active development if needed. I'd also love to talk to them at some point about how they built it and how I can make changes to it. For example the REPL mode doesn't respond to breakpoints and call back to the debugger. I'd like to fix that.

2) How do you debug the IronPython Tools? My current strategy is to install the extension each time to see if my changes have taken hold.

3) Are there plans to release code for RC candidates for IronPython? It seems like the source code pushes are not really shared anymore.

If I should be contacting someone specifically. I'd love to know.

thanks,

-k