Can't Compile Silverlight Version Of DLR 0.92

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Hi guys, I'm trying to compile the DLR to be used in Silverlight 3. with Visual Studio 2008 SP1.

I open the CodePlex-DLR.sln file with VS2k8, then I use Build -> Configuration Manager to switcht the configuration to Silverlight Debug and I try to compile the library. But I end up with a whole mess of compiler errors.

From some of the errors like.

Error 4 The type 'System.SerializableAttribute' exists in both 'c:\DLR\Codeplex-DLR-0.92\Bin\Silverlight Debug\Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll' and 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll' C:\DLR\Codeplex-DLR-0.92\Src\Runtime\Microsoft.Scripting\ArgumentTypeException.cs 20 6 Microsoft.Scripting

Error 5 The type or namespace name 'Serializable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DLR\Codeplex-DLR-0.92\Src\Runtime\Microsoft.Scripting\ArgumentTypeException.cs 20 6 Microsoft.Scripting

Error 6 The type 'System.SerializableAttribute' exists in both 'c:\DLR\Codeplex-DLR-0.92\Bin\Silverlight Debug\Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll' and 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll' C:\DLR\Codeplex-DLR-0.92\Src\Runtime\Microsoft.Scripting\InvalidImplementationException.cs 20 6 Microsoft.Scripting

I'm gonna say that the configuration wasn't done properly to create the Sivlerlight compilation project, I guess I could recreate an entire Silverlight solution but It'd take some time for me to figure out what kind of compiler switches and stuff are used. Can anyone help me by telling me how to compile a silverlight version of the DLR?

Also... I don't see Visual Basic under languages... where did the DLR version of VB go?

Thank you.

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Seems like this is because the project files are expecting a specific version of Silverlight, and you have a different one installed. Which version of Silverlight do you have installed? The csproj files are expecting it to be installed to $(ProgramFiles)\Microsoft Silverlight\3.0.40818.0. AFAIK, that’s the latest version of Silverlight 3.

If you in-fact have a different one installed, you can set a global environment variable “SilverlightPath” and set it to the installation location of your copy of Silverlight; then the build will always look there. Keep in mind this value will NOT update when you install a new version of Silverlight.

I haven’t tried to build that specific solution file in Silverlight in a while, but I think it gets build automatically before the source gets pushed, so it’d be strange if it didn’t build.

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Aaaaahhh.. I see the problem then.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Therefore Silverlight is in $(ProgramFilex(x86))\Microsoft Silverlight\3.0.40818.0

And I can perform a compile.. great! Thanks!

Now.... about that Visual Basic or JScript support?

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Ok.. did some searching.. so.. that's gone then.