Compact Framework runtime for DLR generated code?

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:31 PM
Hi

Given one limit the application to pre-compilable code only and exclude any dynamic code generation scenarios (eval, reflection emit, etc ), I would think this would be possible.

Has anyone attempted and/or done some research on this?

Cheers

leppie
Feb 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM

“dynamic code generation scenarios” in python and ruby include method calls, which depends on Reflection.Emit, so unfortunately it’s removal from the compact framework has a more crippling effect than meets the eye.

A DLR interpreter that never emits IL would be a solution to get the DLR running in a non Reflection.Emit environment, which we’re working on. The current interpreter still emits IL in certain cases.

~js

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:31 PM
To: Jimmy Schementi
Subject: Compact Framework runtime for DLR generated code? [dlr:46778]

Hi

Given one limit the application to pre-compilable code only and exclude any dynamic code generation scenarios (eval, reflection emit, etc ), I would think this would be possible.

Cheers

leppie

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dlr@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dlr@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Also, we’re talking to the NETCF folks to get support.  Until they add support for ref.emit, C# ‘dynamic’ won’t work on NETCF ... unless C# were to become interpreted for part of its execution :-).

Bill

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:02 PM
To: Bill Chiles
Subject: Re: Compact Framework runtime for DLR generated code? [dlr:46778]

“dynamic code generation scenarios” in python and ruby include method calls, which depends on Reflection.Emit, so unfortunately it’s removal from the compact framework has a more crippling effect than meets the eye.

A DLR interpreter that never emits IL would be a solution to get the DLR running in a non Reflection.Emit environment, which we’re working on. The current interpreter still emits IL in certain cases.

~js

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:31 PM
To: Jimmy Schementi
Subject: Compact Framework runtime for DLR generated code? [dlr:46778]

Hi

Cheers

leppie

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dlr@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Thanks both  :)

I have not used the current DLR sources, so I was not sure what would be affecting the ability (my branch of the DLR is over a year old, and heavily trimmed and modified).

Looking forward to a CF DLR tuntime in the future  :)

Cheers

leppie
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM
Hi leppie,

I personaly work hard on a personal project named EmitCF, that will provide Reflection.Emit on Compact Framework 3.5 and +.

An old version is available on CodePlex (http://www.codeplex.com/EmitCF), but I work now on a more reliable and robust version.

Then I recently tempted to port the DLR on Compact Framework, and I would have succeeded if... I didn't have discovered a bug in the Compact Framework 3.5 that prevented using correctly the generics, on which the DLR is heavily based...
I have submitted it on MS Connect, but I have no answer about a patch or a new release... (cf https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=376168)

So perhaps, in the future... ;-))