Expr Tree Serializer ?

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM
I was wondering if any is playing with writing an expr tree serializer? I know it is lame we do not have one, but perhaps someone is doing this in the ample spare time we all have :-). It might make a nice contribution to thingstodowiththedlr.codeplex.com. Anyway, I didn't find anything in a few quick web searches.
Bill
Jun 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Bill,

You didn't look very hard.  :-)

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/exprserialization

Maybe you guys should look at rolling that into the DLR codebase proper.

I've yet to do anything substantial with it, but kicked the tires a little and it seems to work as advertised. Luca's no slouch, obviously.  :-)

Josh

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Well, I did see that, but I dismissed it since I work with Luke and Luca :-).  Seriously, my understanding is that this code is old, was written as a learning experiment, and was missing stuff even in its day.  But yeah, those guys are smart guys :-).  It may be a better place to start than our debugview code since it is already doing serialization and deserialization, but there's a lot of new stuff to cover to get a complete sample.

We will definitely look at least getting a complete sample and then rolling something into the DLR.  I have to admit though this is not our top priority in the immediate time frame.  That's why I was looking for someone who is looking for a hacking project :-).

Cheers,

Bill