Silverlight is not working!!!

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I am using VS2010 Pro, and Framework 4.0 is right installed.

I am trying to compile Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight from sources, but the error list in the project is grater than 30 items.

I just had to compile Microsoft.Scripting.Core and Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttribute because the solution Codeplex-DLR-Dev10 don't include this packages into their references. But, the Silverlight project is confusing. The references are a mess.

The project references system.dll, but not system.core.dll. The code, in Repl.cs makes use of system.core in this lines:

#if CLR4
using System.Core;
#endif

But this fires a error: The type or namespace name 'Core' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?) ...
If I include, from Silverlight installing (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.50401.0\), the System.Core.dll the problem is not solve. Its gets wors.

Is there someone to update this project to include DLR in the silverlight projects?

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Hi Ildefonso.  I can see that there are issues with the Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight project when targeting Silverlight 4.  The current CodePlex-DLR.sln (for VS 2008) will build the binary for Silverlight 3.  But that’s not particularly useful to you.

Absolutely we will update the project.  Let me look further into what’s required it and get back to you.

-Ryan

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:25 AM
To: Ryan Dawson
Subject: Silverlight is not working!!! [dlr:210348]

I am trying to compile Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight from sources, but the error list in the project is grater than 30 items.

I just had to compile Microsoft.Scripting.Core and Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttribute because the solution Codeplex-DLR-Dev10 don't include this packages into their references. But, the Silverlight project is confusing. The references are a mess.

The project references system.dll, but not system.core.dll. The code, in Repl.cs makes use of system.core in this lines:

#if CLR4
using System.Core;
#endif

But this fires a error: The type or namespace name 'Core' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?) ...
If I include, from Silverlight installing (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.50401.0\), the System.Core.dll the problem is not solve. Its gets wors.

Is there someone to update this project to include DLR in the silverlight projects?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dlr@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dlr@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM

It should just be a matter of using the “Silverlight 4 Debug” configuration, and then telling MSBuild where your Silverlight 4 binaries are. Building from MSBuild should look like this:

msbuild Hosts\SilverLight\Microsoft.Scripting.SilverLight\Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.csproj /p:Configuration="Silverlight 4

Debug" /p:SilverlightPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.50401.0"

The reason it doesn’t build from Visual Studio is because none of the project files reference a Silverlight 4 installation path which doesn’t exist for you, and it’s falling back to using the .NET framework binaries, which will fail. However, if you set “SilverlightPath” as an environment variable, the project files will pick it up from within VS as well. We should fix the script which keeps the sources in sync to update the <Silverlight4Path> variable in all the project files. Also, CodePlex-DLR-Dev10.sln doesn’t even build Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.csproj, so that’s another issue.

~js

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 12:08 PM
To: Jimmy Schementi
Subject: Re: Silverlight is not working!!! [dlr:210348]

Hi Ildefonso. I can see that there are issues with the Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight project when targeting Silverlight 4. The current CodePlex-DLR.sln (for VS 2008) will build the binary for Silverlight 3. But that’s not particularly useful to you.

Absolutely we will update the project. Let me look further into what’s required it and get back to you.

-Ryan

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:25 AM
To: Ryan Dawson
Subject: Silverlight is not working!!! [dlr:210348]

I am trying to compile Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight from sources, but the error list in the project is grater than 30 items.

#if CLR4
using System.Core;
#endif

But this fires a error: The type or namespace name 'Core' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?) ...

Is there someone to update this project to include DLR in the silverlight projects?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dlr@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Thanks, Ryan. Thanks, Jimmy.

I will wait with full hope the project update. I am very interested in using the DLR to run scripts in my projects built in Silverlight.

> Ildefonso

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM

The current IronRuby and IronPython releases also work in SL4 … you just don’t get dynamic keyword support. So if you really want a build from the DLR sources, just run that one command I mentioned in the previous message. What is stopping you from just doing that and being unblocked?

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Hi, Jimmy.

Can't address the libs to start. Just it.

I created a app/containner with  1 textbox, 1 button and a text-area:

• into the textbox I would put a simple code in ruby;
  • after click the buton, I would call the interpreter to run the code;
  • the text-area would be filled with a string returned by the interpreter.

At this momment I need see this. But I can't see how!!

May 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

FYI, here's a build to unblock you: http://jimmy.schementi.com/downloads/dlr-sl4-20100507.zip.